Nicaragua Condemns US-Led Campaign to Destabilize Latin America
Story Code : 944482
In a statement on Tuesday, Nicaraguan Foreign Minister Denis Moncada blamed Washington and European countries for carrying out a campaign that sought to destabilize the situation in the region, saying communication and information technologies were being widely used in that destabilization campaign.
He said there was a conspiracy by Western powers, headed by the United States, for regime changes or color revolutions, aimed at consolidating international hegemony and controlling countries based on geopolitical and strategic interests.
Moncada said the countries that were part of this plot "use a propagandistic design of great financial investment, of many millions, and can attract people who are easily swayed by false information."
He stressed the need for bilateral and multilateral measures to face those policies and to prevent the actions of the states that were interfering from having an impact in destabilizing and creating a world of false, distorted information, aimed at discrediting governments and creating conditions for a change of regime.
The Nicaraguan foreign minister referred to the agreement signed on July 19 last year between Managua and Moscow, one of whose objectives he said was to counteract those types of activities as part of cooperation in guaranteeing international information security.
Moncada expressed Managua's willingness to develop relations with all countries, including the United States, despite not agreeing with its foreign policy.
The United States has long interfered in the internal affairs of Nicaragua, a Latin American country it once occupied from 1912 to 1933 as part of the Banana Wars. Washington has imposed sanctions against Nicaragua's government and President Daniel Ortega's inner circle since 2018, when protests erupted in the country.
Meanwhile, Cuba has also held Washington responsible for stirring up violence in the country in recent days, which has led to at least one death and dozens of injuries and more than 100 arrests.
Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez has insisted that Washington is using high-tech digital systems to incite protests in the Caribbean island nation. He condemned a campaign promoted from US soil through social media to promote riots and destabilizing acts, warning that such irresponsible conduct could had negative implications for the region and even harmed the national interests of the US.
Protest rallies erupted against the government of Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel almost ten days ago. The unrest came amid Cuba's worst economic crisis in 30 years, with chronic shortages of electricity and food exacerbated by brutal US sanctions.
The Cuban government blames the economic woes mainly on US embargoes and the coronavirus pandemic.